Muki Kulhan – London
Few people in the world can tell the intertwined history of the internet, entertainment, and interactive content like Muki Kulhan. Beginning her journey on live event productions, she was determined to create her own professional opportunities and decided to bet on MTV and the “new” internet back in 1999.
With her first-hand experiences of the impacts and changes of the digital revolution, Muki’s career has grown alongside the Internet, technologies, and its endless interactive possibilities. In today’s episode, Muki takes us on a ride from the beginnings of mobile phones as entertainment devices to a not-so-distant future filled with immersive experiences.
The Future Music Forum is an annual international music conference based in Barcelona that gathers the leading minds in the world of music to exchange views on how music is being shared in today’s digital age and discuss new developments taking place in music technology.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Beginning a Career at the dawn of the World Wide Web
- Starting Show Promotion from the bottom
- Hustling for the Show
- Communications, broadcasting, and connecting people through technology
- 1997 MTV before websites
- Creating your own opportunities: MTV Interactive and launching a website
- MTV Cribs, the Osbourne’s family mansion, spin-off shows, and the Kardashians
- Interactivity and bringing audiences closer to new technology
- 2001 mobile shows
- Record Labels did not understand the mobile revolution, ultimately did not care on time and missed opportunities.
- “Why do we want a music video on a mobile phone?”
- Experiencing new was to interact with content
- Immersive content is the new law
- New trends on art appreciation
- Content will get better and mainstream tech will follow
- There is never a typical day at MUKI International
- Working with clients around the globe and establishing boundaries for different time-zones
- Working as a one-woman show and designing Dream Teams for every task
- Balancing financial stability with experimenting on new technologies
- Keynote speaking and Mentoring to help people
- Learning all you can through seminars, keynotes, and webinars
- Going after your opportunities and talking to people
- Making sure to hire/include the right people in your teams
- VR and communal creativity
- Creativity at work through immersive audio and storytelling for VR
- Supporting everyone in Tech
- Working at the Executive Board or Advisory Board
- Getting involved in all kinds of tech and business meetups and conferences in your city and on the Internet
- Muki Kulhan
- MTV Cribs – Season 4 – Episode 7 – “The Osbournes” aired Wednesday Feb 20, 2002
- The Osbournes
- Harry Shotta
- Bose AR
- The Voice UK – 360 Virtual Voice
Follow and Subscribe to The CREATR Podcast for free on your favorite streaming platform!